Ruby Rose

Cosplayer: Moonchild

Status: Complete

Condition: Needs repairs

13th October 2017: Finished! All finished, here’s a lil sneak peak before I left for RTX. I put the cloak & belt on when I got there haha

13th October 2017: Wig! I bought the base wig from CosplaySky & then just trimmed the fringe & straightened the longer bits. This was only my 2nd time of cutting a wig & my first side fringe. It could have gone better but for a first attempt it wasn’t too bad haha. I have to rely on hairspray & clips when it’s on but that’s okay.

My lenses are from Honeycolor (Geo Beauty Grey) but I sadly lost one on the day T_T my eyes are weird & sometimes lenses just pop out on their own. I’ve ordered some different ones for when I rewear.

13th October 2017: Finished Belt Nothing too exciting & not the best photo but wanted to include it. I made the base from a long strip of 5mm craft foam & then sewed together a sort of sleeve for it from some black leatherette then sewed up the ends. It does up in the back with some Velcro. Simple but effective. The pouch, Rose emblem & bullets are all fixed on with glue & split pins.

12th October 2017: Belt Accessories Pouch/box thing...made out of a box covered in craft foam which I then just sealed & painted. Not sure if it’s a bit too big...I’ll see how I feel after RTX & replace it if needbe.

Bullets good to go as well! Just need to attach them to the belt~

12th October 2017: Finished Boots All laced up & ready to go! Added the ruffle trim as well which is just some red chiffon gathered by hand. Used tape in the inside of the boots to hold it, cosplay secrets right there lol

Really pleased with how these turned out =) I just hope the paint doesn’t chip off but it’s an easy fix if it does.

12th October 2017: Rose Emblem Rose emblem for the belt, it was quite tricky to do so enlisted my dads help. Used a download of her emblem as a stencil & sprayed it onto some craft foam & did a second one for all of the pieces. I sealed everything with a few layers of mod podge before it was all painted & glued together. It’s not perfect up close (we used pins to secure the pieces which is why they have holes) but it looks great in photos.

11th October 2017: Bullets for Belt Forgot to take a photo after priming but they were primed with some grey primer first then used a metallic silver.

My dad made this cool stand for them as they were flying all over the place when trying to paint them initially XD it’s some cardboard with nails drilled in!

11th October 2017: Boots WIP 2 After painting with the Angelus paint ive sprayed a few light layers of red Plastidip. I’m hoping this will help prevent the paint from chipping but we shall see XD

11th October 2017: Dress WIP 2 Getting there! The bodice needs to be taken in/have some darts added which is why I’m holding it. Other than that I just need to sew the sleeves & hem the skirt portion! Pretty pleased with how this has come together =)

11th October 2017: Waist-Cincher Due to time I've opted to buy a corset belt & simply switched the lacing for red ribbon. I'll make my own in future when I have more time!

10th October 2017: Cloak WIP So much fabric & so much sewing

7th October 2017: Boots WIP Boots progress so far. I bought the boots off eBay & will be changing the laces for some red ones. I'm using some angelus 'walk on red' bottom coat currently. It's looking okay but I'm not sure it's going to properly adhere since I didn't realise until I'd bought it that it's not recommended for rubber soles. So my plan is to use it for now and then get some plastidip to go over it. Hopefully it'll work...

4th October 2017: Dress WIP Made my own pattern for the circle skirt which has since all been cut out...I actually accidently managed to cut out two skirts...oops! But other than that it went well.

Bodice has also all been cut & sewn & is currently tacked to the skirt. I'll upload some more progress shots once it's sewn properly. I've also cut the sleeves but I first need to make and attach the trim before sewing them.

2nd October 2017: Petticoat! Just a quick shot of my petticoat! (excuse the pjs)
I might make my own in future but I really love it! It's so soft! Purchased from Its from the Banned Apparel line (20'' walkabout petticoat)

1st October 2017: Supplies! Patterns & fabric for the dress & cloak. For the dress I'm using the bodice pattern from Simplicity 3723 & chosen to use a stretch cotton sateen. Using another pattern I have for the bell sleeves & making a circle skirt for the bottom half.

For the cloak I'm using Simplicity 5794 & using a two-way stretch ponte knit jersey. The crosses are just some pendant/charms I found.
And bullets for her belt before being painted! I got these off a costume bullet belt.

Everything was bought on good old eBay

Mr. Sat-Ash avatar

Mr. Sat-Ash - 31st July 2017
This is gonna look adorable. A character like Ruby looks like she'd suit you very well.

Mr. Sat-Ash avatar

Mr. Sat-Ash - 17th June 2018
Looks like I was right. Very cute.