21st March 2015: Changing my mind I've changed my mind about the trims I was going to use. I bought some nice, but not very screen accurate, paisley trim for the sleeves and was going to use a different fabric for the collar, without a trim. But I've changed my mind. I discovered there are hundreds of beautiful embroidered sari borders from India on Etsy which are very close to what I wanted and so trawled through them all but none of them were quite right. I eventually found a gold trim on ebay that I think is good. I'm pairing it with a thin braid as an edging as the original has a well defined edge. It's quite a bit more expensive that way than the original plan, but worth it, I think.
This leaves me almost stuck until it arrives. I have cut out the upper sleeves, so the next thing is to do the collar. After that I need to attach the trim before I make up the upper sleeves and sew them all on the underdress.
I still haven't touched my velvet fabric but I'm going to do the sleeves soon. I've been thinking about how to do the lining, since my lining fabric is a touch narrower than the velvet but I don't want to lose any width. I have extra of the lining so it should be doable. I want to finish the underdress and then make a mockup of the overdress to make sure the collars line up properly before I do anything with that fabric.