9th November 2013: #SewNovember - Bodice First draft I've been slacking already in #SewNovember! Been super busy and tired these past few nights due to having to put on a screening at work one night then an extra long orchestra rehearsal last night. I've been doing research for another costume that's not part of #SewNovember too so ahh, why aren't days 36hrs long!?
Anyway, this is sort of how I begin the patterning process. I do any calculations needed with maths. In this case, most of the maths needed was to do with how far apart the pointy bits needed to be. I measured my waist and then roughly measured how big the area where the pointy bits end is. Divided these two numbers to get a scale factor (in my case roughly 1.5). Then I separated this into my front and back, so I took my front and quartered it and took the middle quarters and this was where the seam lines would be and the centre of the point. Took the point from my centre to the seam line and then multiplied this by the scale factor and then used this value as the distance from the centre to the point and then I joined the lines together to make the first point.
I basically did this for all four panels.
I could have divided my waist equally by four but naturally my back is wider than my front ever so slightly so the proportions would have been off. So I preferred to separate my front and back measurements.
The rest of the bodice I kind of draft by heart as I've done so many bodices now... The pattern is forever engraved into my head so I find it hard to explain OTL.
Not sure if my maths made sense to anyone at all, it's much easier to sketch it out!
Now I'm going to redraw the newspaper cut outs onto calico and see if it drapes right with fabric. I don't normally do this but I want to be extra sure when distributing this pattern as it actually matters this time XD