22nd July 2018: Gauntlets The final pieces on the fingers are cut from black worbla which I heated to shape on my hands while wearing the gloves. This was my first time using worbla and I chose it for the claws since I'd only need a small amount and I thought it’d hold up better than foam to wear and tear – foam claws would just bend and get bashed too easily. However, for the larger knuckle/back of hand section, I did use craft foam because I didn’t have enough worbla (I only bought a A4 sheet from Coscraft) and it was probably a lot easier anyway to shape foam freehand for this. I scored the back of the foam to help create the zig-zags, folded it up into pleats and blasted it with a heat gun.
Everything was primed with layers of mod podge, painted with black enamel and glued on with E6000. I realised the only decent glues I already had required significant drying time so I wanted to buy some that would form an initial bond quickly enough to allow me to attach everything while wearing the gloves (before then taking them off and leaving it to cure), so I took the opportunity to order some off Amazon after having heard so much about it from cosplayers across the pond.
After all that, the gauntlets have ended up much shinier than the bracers. I’ll need to see how it photographs altogether when I wear the costume and decide then if I need to tone down the shiny paint or maybe remake my leatherette pieces in a shinier vinyl or something.